Henrico County Public Schools offers a preschool program to children who meet specific criteria at many elementary schools. Preschool is a full-day program that follows the HCPS school calendar and school hours. School hours vary depending on location. The preschool program empowers students with the knowledge, skills, attributes and experiences to be life-ready. Through implementation of a developmentally appropriate, hands-on curriculum, students are engaged in learning literacy. This includes a focus on phonemic awareness; language enrichment; letters and sounds; decoding and beginning reading and writing; numeracy with a focus on numbers and number sense; and social and emotional development. Our program reinforces HCPS’ Henrico Learner Profile and focuses on creative and critical thinking, communicating, collaborating, quality character and becoming an effective global citizen in our increasingly diverse society.
Early Learning Preschool is funded through the Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI) and federal Head Start grants awarded to the school division. Acceptance into the program is not on a first-come, first-served basis, and a limited number of preschool spots are available.
Children must be four years old on or before Sept. 30 of the upcoming school year and reside in Henrico County. There are no exceptions to age and residency requirements. There is no cost to families for the program and transportation will be provided for preschool students in accordance with HCPS transportation guidelines. HCPS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability or age in its programs and activities.
WHEN AND HOW TO APPLY
The application for the 2020-2021 school year is NOW OPEN! Applying is not the same thing as enrolling, but each application will be reviewed equitably based on established criteria. Families are notified of acceptance and wait-list status via U.S. Mail by the end of July. To apply, parents or guardians must submit a pre-application online at https://goo.gl/8ZLunL (English) or https://goo.gl/aQn0ek (Spanish).
WHAT TO BRING TO OUR RECRUITMENT EVENT:
You must bring:
- Child’s certified birth certificate (original document). If in a language other than English, you must provide a translated copy in English.
- Proof of income for all individuals contributing to the family. You may provide one of the following: 2019 W2; 2019 1040 tax form; two most recent paycheck stubs; TANF verification; or a letter from your employer indicating period of employment and salary, child support, social security benefits and/or unemployment.
- Current lease or mortgage agreement. If not in your name, you must complete a residency affidavit, which must be notarized by a notary. The homeowner or person renting the home must be present with you at the time of your scheduled appointment.
- Current utility bill (gas, electric, water, etc.) in your name, dated within the past 30 days.
- Picture ID (military ID, driver’s license, DMV ID or other photo ID).
- Medical and dental insurance cards.
- Court-ordered custody papers, if applicable.
- Individualized Education Program (IEP), if applicable.
- Current physical/immunization examination report (showing TB), completed within one year before the start of the preschool school year. Page one must be completed and signed by the parent or guardian.
- Completed dental exam form, completed within the past six months.
Because of the school division’s COVID-19 closure, scheduled preschool recruiting events have been canceled. More details about preschool recruiting will be posted as they become available.
- CANCELED: Monday, March 23, 9 a.m-2 p.m.
New Bridge Learning Center Auditorium
- CANCELED: Monday, March 30, 1-4 p.m.
Springfield Park Elementary School
- CANCELED: April 14 from 4-6 p.m. at Sandston Elementary School.
- CANCELED: April 17 from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. at New Bridge Learning Center Auditorium.
- CANCELED: April 21 from 4-6 p.m. at Longan Elementary School.
- CANCELED: April 23 from 4-6 p.m. at Crestview Elementary School.
- CANCELED: April 27 from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. at New Bridge Learning Center Auditorium.
- CANCELED: April 28 from 4-6 p.m. at Johnson Elementary School.
- CANCELED: April 30 from 4-6 p.m. at Dumbarton Elementary School.
- CANCELED: May 5 from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. at New Bridge Learning Center Auditorium.
- CANCELED: May 6 from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. at New Bridge Learning Center Auditorium.
Early Learning Preschool Classroom Sites:
Arthur R. Ashe Jr.
Fair Oaks (program housed at Donahoe)
Laburnum (program housed at New Bridge Learning Center)
New Bridge Learning Center (website)
Ridge (program housed at Three Chopt)
Eligible students who live within the attendance zone of a school with an Early Learning Preschool classroom are considered first.
For the fastest response to any questions regarding HCPS’ Early Learning Preschool program, email firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also call our office at 804-328-8104. Please be aware that because of the large volume of calls we receive, email is the most efficient way to communicate.