Henrico County Public Schools offers a preschool program to children who meet specific criteria at many elementary schools. Preschool is a full-day program that follows the HCPS school calendar and school hours. School hours vary depending on location. The preschool program empowers students with the knowledge, skills, attributes and experiences to be life-ready. Through implementation of a developmentally appropriate, hands-on curriculum, students are engaged in learning literacy. This includes a focus on phonemic awareness; language enrichment; letters and sounds; decoding and beginning reading and writing; numeracy with a focus on numbers and number sense; and social and emotional development. Our program reinforces HCPS’ Henrico Learner Profile and focuses on creative and critical thinking, communicating, collaborating, quality character and becoming an effective global citizen in our increasingly diverse society.
Early Learning Preschool is funded through the Virginia Preschool Initiative and federal Head Start grants awarded to the school division. Acceptance into the program is not on a first-come, first-served basis, and a limited number of preschool spots are available.
Children must be four years old on or before Sept. 30 of the upcoming school year and reside in Henrico County. There are no exceptions to age and residency requirements. There is no cost to families for the program and transportation will be provided for preschool students in accordance with HCPS transportation guidelines. HCPS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability or age in its programs and activities.
WHEN AND HOW TO APPLY
The application process for the 2020-21 school year is now open. Applying is not the same thing as enrolling, but each application will be reviewed equitably based on established criteria. Families are notified of acceptance and waitlist status via U.S. Mail by the end of July. To apply, parents or guardians must submit a pre-application online at https://goo.gl/8ZLunL (English) or https://goo.gl/aQn0ek (Spanish).
We hope you all are doing well! Thank you for your patience and understanding as our team worked to determine the best way to continue accepting preschool applications for the 2020-21 school year. Carefully read the directions below to complete the application process for your child. If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com. You must complete Steps 1-4 for your child to be considered for the program.
STEP 1: If you haven’t already done so, click the blue button that says “Apply Now!” to complete the pre-application online. If you are unable to complete the online pre-application, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
STEP 2: Complete the paper application packet. Yes, even if you completed the online pre-application, you also have to complete the paper application packet. Download the paper application packet, complete it digitally and print it, or print it and fill it out by hand. If you don’t have access to a printer, complete the “Paper Packet Application Needed” form and we will send you a paper application packet by mail. You’ll need the completed packet with you, in order for us to review it together during a virtual meeting with a member of our staff. You’ll also need to bring the completed paper application packet with you to an in-person preschool acceptance event, closer to the start of school.
STEP 3: Gather all of your required documents. Use the checklist to make sure you have everything.
CHECKLIST (click here for printable checklist):
- Child’s original BIRTH CERTIFICATE.
- PROOF OF INCOME for all individuals contributing to the family. You may provide one of the following:
- A 2019 W2; 2019 1040 tax form; two most recent paycheck stubs; Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) verification; or a letter from your employer indicating period of employment and salary, child support, social security benefits and/or unemployment.
- CURRENT LEASE OR MORTGAGE AGREEMENT. If not in your name, you must complete a residency affidavit form (page 4 of PDF), which must be notarized by a notary.
- Current UTILITY BILL (gas, electric, water, etc.) in your name, dated within the past 30 days.
- PICTURE I.D. for parents or guardians (military I.D., driver’s license, DMV I.D., or another photo I.D.).
- MEDICAL AND DENTAL INSURANCE CARDS.
- PHYSICAL/IMMUNIZATION FORM with TB results, completed no more than one year before the start of the preschool school year. Page 1 must be completed and signed by the parent or guardian. If you don’t have this right now, you may still schedule an appointment.
- DENTAL EXAM FORM dated within the past six months. If you don’t have this right now, you may still schedule an appointment.
- COURT-ORDERED CUSTODY PAPERS, if applicable.
- INDIVIDUALIZED EDUCATION PROGRAM plan, if applicable.
- COMPLETED PAPER APPLICATION PACKET:
- HCPS Enrollment Form (check that form is completed, and sign and date page 3).
- Developmental checklist (check that form is completed, and sign and date).
- Early Learning Preschool Consent Form.
- School Bus Request Form.
- Approved List of Authorized Persons at Bus Stop. Include your own name on the list (only list five people), then sign and date.
STEP 4: In order to schedule an appointment and participate in the virtual meeting you must create a Google account. Click appointment to see available appointment times for our staff members. After selecting an available time, type your name in the description box. You will be sent a Google Hangout link enabling you to join the virtual meeting. Google Hangout can be accessed using your phone or computer. It’s important for us to use this method so that we can view your required documents. If you are unable to connect with us using video, your child will only be considered for the waitlist until documents can be seen in person. Dates and times are being added regularly, so please continue to check back to find a time that fits your schedule. If you encounter problems making an appointment using the Google calendar, you can request an appointment via email.
STEP 5: “Conditional acceptance,” waitlist, or “not eligible” letters will be mailed in July. If you receive the conditional acceptance letter, you will be required to attend our preschool acceptance event, closer to the start of school, to show all required documents in person. In order for your child to start the school year, we must see your documents in person. Families unable to attend the event with the required documents will be moved to the waitlist.
Early Learning Preschool Classroom Sites:
Arthur R. Ashe Jr.
Fair Oaks (program housed at Donahoe)
Laburnum (program housed at New Bridge Learning Center)
New Bridge Learning Center (website)
Ridge (program housed at Three Chopt)
Eligible students who live within the attendance zone of a school with an Early Learning Preschool classroom are considered first.
For the fastest response to any questions regarding HCPS’ Early Learning Preschool program, email email@example.com. You may also call our office at 804-328-8104. Please be aware that because of the large volume of calls we receive, email is the most efficient way to communicate.