An important message from the Henrico County School Board
June 5, 2020
Integrity, respect, trust and caring for each other are all values shared by your School Board. Many people are feeling a range of emotions, from fear to anger and confusion, because of the senseless deaths of George Floyd and many other African American men and women. If you are feeling this way, you are not alone. As leaders, we are saddened, angry and looking for answers.
- Your School Board is here for you. The discussion of race and racial justice is complex and may be uncomfortable. This is a chance to learn from our community as we listen. Students, staff and community members, please contact us and tell us how you are feeling and what you need.
- HCPS is committed to creating an inclusive environment where students and families feel a sense of respect and belonging.
- Acknowledging that we have different cultural experiences helps us create a more effective multicultural environment where differences are appreciated.
- There are resources available to help you better understand and develop knowledge about the effects of racism and the trauma caused by racial injustice.
Together, we can build the world we all want and that our children deserve.
Roscoe D. Cooper III, Chair and Fairfield District Representative
Michelle F. “Micky” Ogburn, Vice Chair and Three Chopt District Representative
Kristi B. Kinsella, Brookland District Representative
Marcie F. Shea, Tuckahoe District Representative
Alicia S. Atkins, Varina District Representative
Henrico County School Board
The five-member Henrico School Board consists of one elected representative from each of Henrico County’s five magisterial districts.
Click here for BoardDocs, a web-based tool for publishing School Board meeting agendas, support documents, audio and policies.
Regular monthly Board meetings begin at 6:30 p.m., and are held in the New Bridge Auditorium, 5915 Nine Mile Road, unless publicized otherwise. Work sessions generally begin at 2 p.m., but the time may fluctuate according to the agenda for that date. Upcoming meeting dates, as well as video archives of past meetings, are available by scrolling past the Board member photographs.
Agendas for work sessions and monthly meetings (including start times) are posted to the HCPS BoardDocs web page on the Friday afternoon before the meeting date.
Submit public comments online
In order to help prevent the spread of coronavirus, School Board members are currently holding meetings in a virtual format, via videoconference. Public comments from citizens are welcome in advance using an online submission form. Comments will be distributed to the Board members before the meeting and posted for public view on BoardDocs, where all meeting materials are archived.
Upcoming School Board work sessions:
- July 23
- Aug. 13
Click the button to submit written public comments for the July 23 work session. The deadline is at 9:30 a.m. on the day of the meeting.
- July 23, 2020: Work Session
- Aug. 13, 2020: Work Session
- Aug. 27, 2020: Work Session and Monthly Meeting
- Sept. 10, 2020: Work Session
- Sept. 24, 2020: Work Session and Monthly Meeting
- Oct. 8, 2020: Work Session
- Oct. 22, 2020: Work Session and Monthly Meeting
- Nov. 12, 2020: Work Session and Monthly Meeting
- Dec. 10, 2020: Work Session and Monthly Meeting
School Board Videos 2019-20
Work sessions and monthly meetings are streamed live and can be viewed on any computer or mobile device. Look for the livestream link on the homepage 15 minutes before the meeting start time. Videos are archived and are available upon request by emailing Debbie N. Ward, clerk to the School Board.
June 23, 2020: Joint work session with Henrico County Board of Supervisors
March 26, 2020: Work Session
Jan. 16, 2020: Work Session
Oct. 10, 2019: Work Session
Sept. 12, 2019: Work Session
Sept. 4, 2019: Special Meeting
Aug. 8, 2019: Work Session
News media requests for School Board members are received by the Division of Communications and Community Engagement. Please call 804-652-3724 or send an email to Andy Jenks, chief of communications and community engagement.
Cathy Harris, Clerk to School Board
3820 Nine Mile Road
Henrico, Va. 23223