Interested in a career in education?
Want a guaranteed teaching position when you graduate from college?
Want a $5,000 sign-on bonus for committing to work for three years?
There’s a place for you with Henrico County Public Schools!
The HCPS Teacher Scholars Program is designed to address the increasing demand for high quality teachers.
How it works
High school seniors who are accepted for the program agree to complete a teaching program in college or to complete a major in one of the approved content areas.
Upon graduation from college, they have a guaranteed teaching career waiting for them with the school division. When they commit to HCPS for three years, they also receive a $5,000 signing bonus. Participants are assigned to schools where their skills are most needed.
To apply for the program you must:
- Be a current senior graduating from a Henrico County high school.
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible for employment in the U.S.
- Agree to enroll in and complete a teacher education program at an accredited college or university leading to teacher certification by the Virginia Department of Education in one of the approved content areas, or an undergraduate degree with a major in one of the approved content areas.
- Interested students submit a complete application to their school counselor by the application deadline.
- Candidates participate in a panel interview which includes teaching a short lesson.
Upon graduation from college
- Teacher scholars submit a complete scholars graduate packet to HCPS’ Department of Human Resources, which includes:
- College transcripts showing degree conferral.
- Reference from your cooperating teacher.
- Reference from your college student advisor.
- The Human Resources Department will identify the school with the highest needs in your teaching area.
- Begin your teaching career with Henrico County Public Schools!
Those who meet all eligibility requirements will also receive a $5,000 signing bonus with their minimum three-year commitment. If you don’t fulfill the three-year commitment, you will be required to pay back the supplement.
HCPS’ Teacher Scholars program is a no-risk opportunity. We realize that plans change and life can take you in other directions. If during your collegiate journey you find that you are no longer interested in participating in the HCPS Teacher Scholars program, just let us know.