Henrico Schools Teacher Scholars program is a creative, homegrown way to address teacher shortages in content areas where there aren’t enough qualified applicants.
High school seniors who are accepted for the program agree to complete a teaching program in college in one of the shortage areas: science, Spanish, math, exceptional education, technology education, and family and consumer sciences. When the participants graduate from college, they have a guaranteed teaching job waiting for them with Henrico Schools, and also receive a $5,000 signing bonus. Participants are assigned to schools where their skills are most needed, and they agree to a minimum stint of three years.
How it works:
- Interested students complete an application and include a resume and the name and contact information of two references.
- A student essay is also required, using the prompt, “I want to become a teacher because …”
- Applicants are interviewed by a panel and teach a short lesson on an approved subject of their choice.
- A committee reviews the applications and selects graduating seniors to become Teacher Scholars.
To apply, you must:
- Be a senior graduating this year from a Henrico County high school.
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible for employment in the U.S.
- Agree to enroll in and complete either:
- A teacher-education program at an accredited college or university leading to teacher certification by the Virginia Department of Education in one of the identified shortage areas.
- An undergraduate degree in one of the content-focus areas.
Upon graduation from college, you must:
- Be an approved participant in Henrico County Public Schools’ Teacher Scholars program.
- Receive a positive reference based on your student teaching experiences.
- Receive a positive reference from your college student advisor.
- Be flexible about your placement within the school division, so we can best meet the needs of our students.
Those who meet all eligibility requirements will also receive a $5,000 signing bonus with a minimum three-year commitment required. If you don’t fulfill the three-year commitment, you will be required to pay back the supplement.
HCPS Teacher Scholars program is a no-risk opportunity:
We realize that plans change and life can take you in other directions. If during your collegiate journey you find that you are no longer interested in participating in the HCPS Teacher Scholars program, just let us know.