Safety and Wellness
Equity and Opportunity
Henrico County Public Schools will provide equitable, collaborative, and engaging learner-centered experiences empowering learners to become contributing citizens in a global society.
Overview of the Goal
The world beyond school is quickly redefining what it means to be “ready for life”, including a broader set of aims that reflect complex and diverse environments. The Virginia Board of Education recognizes this need and is revamping its “Profile of a Virginia Graduate” to ensure that every child has the knowledge, skills, and attributes necessary to succeed in life. Henrico County Public Schools will focus on building supportive relationships and positive school cultures in order to increase learner engagement and fulfillment of the four cornerstones.
The school division seeks to engage all students in meaningful learning experiences that better reflect the complexity of the real-world we live in; and to serve the individual, promote growth, impart learning opportunities and foster deep learning within all students.
The school division seeks to create learning environments that develop the whole child, cultivating students’ empathy, compassion, and respect for others. These efforts will empower all students to become contributing citizens in a dynamic global society.
Henrico County Public Schools will:
- Provide professional learning opportunities, using reserved time in the division calendar. Align training resources with adult learning theory, which focuses on the knowledge, skills, and attributes within the Henrico Learner Profile and Deeper Learning model including:
- Project-based learning and experiential activities
- Collaborative learning
- Student-centered learning/deeper learning
- Social-emotional learning
- Inclusive and interactive cultural experiences
- Critical thinking and creativity attributes
- Observational and assessment tools, including both formative and summative assessments
- Use of real-time data to drive instruction and allocate instructional resources
- Design a way of measuring the division’s progress toward implementing the Deeper Learning model, which holds that learning is anytime, anywhere; authentic and connected; student-owned; and community-supported.
- Examine school programs in an effort to re-imagine learning models to be more student-centered and innovative.
- Reserve portions of instructional time for greater teacher-student and student-to-student building of relationships (e.g. advisories and morning meetings).
- Develop a process for integrating student goals into parent-teacher-student conferences.
- Provide student voice and choice to become agents of their own learning through personalized learning pathways that focus on individual growth. Provide flexibility in curriculum scope, and pacing guides.
- Transform the curriculum to provide students with multiple authentic learning experiences with local businesses, community organizations and post-secondary institutions, leading to grade-appropriate student internships and experiences.
- Develop an annual Instructional Technology plan to support learner-centered instruction in order to ensure that students can use a variety of technologies in a responsible manner, and develop the information literacy of all learners.
- Update the common administrator walk-through form to capture relevant experiences that connect to the real world. The division will also develop a process to compile these experiences across all schools in the division.
- Establish pathways that foster open lines of communication between the schools and schools’ own community.
|HCPS continues to innovate and affirm learning pathways for students to pursue career and life ready experiences||
|Community members, staff members, and students are supported in interactions by working on real problems with real professionals and tools||Walk-through feedback aggregated at the school and division levels|
|Increased emphasis on positive relationships serves as the basis for improving academic performance and school safety||
|HCPS facilitates understanding of the Henrico Learner Profile (HLP) and Deeper Learning Model||
|Time is built into master schedules specifically to develop teacher/student relationships||Advisory blocks built into master schedules|