Skip to content

Special Diets/Allergies

If your child has a disability, as defined under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the ASA of 1990, federal regulations require a parent or guardian to obtain a physician’s statement that identifies:

  • Your child’s disability and an explanation of why the disability restricts the child’s diet.
  • The major life activity affected by the disability.
  • The food or foods to be omitted from the child’s diet and the food or choice of foods that must be substituted.

Food allergies and intolerances are considered a disability only if a life-threatening (anaphylactic) reaction occurs from ingesting the food item. Special requests for a child who does not have a disability, but does have a special dietary need, must be verified by a licensed medical authority (a physician or nurse practitioner).

Please click here for “Physician’s Statement Form: Eating and Feeding Evaluation for Children with Special Needs.” A decision on how to accommodate the special request will be made on a case-by-case basis. Food substitutions may be limited due to availability of items. Menu information is available via MealViewer.