A Global Community of Learners
HCPS’s 1,800 students and 180 teachers in our five IB World Schools are connected in learning to nearly 175,000 IB students in 5,400 schools representing 158 countries worldwide.
The IB Middle Years Program
The MYP is a five-year program for students in grades 6-10 and is strategically designed for adolescents’ needs, tapping into their sense of wonder and curiosity through inquiry-based units. By exploring globally significant ideas and issues in their eight subject areas, students increase their understanding of the world . They are empowered to own their learning and take risks and explore new ideas and innovative strategies.
- A five-year program for 6th-10th grades
- Eight subject areas
- IBMYP Service as Action
- The IBMYP Personal Project
- Grades 6-8 offered at Fairfield MS, Moody MS, and Tuckahoe MS
- Grades 9-10 offered at Henrico HS and J.R. Tucker HS
- Prepares learners for future education in the IB programs
The IB Diploma Program
The Diploma Program (DP) is a two-year program designed for 17-19 year olds, offering them the depth and independence of college level studies while IB-structured supports are still in place for high school. Every student takes a full set of IBDP courses in sciences, math, language and literature, language acquisition, individuals and societies, and the arts, most of which are a 2-year sequence.
Each course includes internally developed assessments in accordance with IB’s requirements, as well as a series of end of course IB-designed external examinations. Students’ performance over the two years and on the exams determine their achievement of the internationally recognized IB Diploma.
IB Diploma Program students are sought after by higher institutions because of their initiative and commitment to rigorous learning, their research and communication skills, their well-rounded experiences, and support for their communities.
- Two-year program – 11th and 12th grades
- Six subject areas
- DP Core: Theory of Knowledge, Creativity/Service/Action, and the Extended Essay
- Internal Assessments and External Examinations
- Internationally recognized IB Diploma
- Offered at Henrico HS and J.R. Tucker HS
- Graduates ready for college and beyond
The IB Career-related Program
Once authorized this spring, Henrico High School will offer IB’s newest curriculum – the Career-related Program (CP). The CP is developed specifically for students who wish to engage in career-related learning while gaining transferable and lifelong skills. It combines the rigor of the Diploma Program with students’ interests in an IB-approved career-related study.
CP students undertake a minimum of two IB Diploma Program courses, which provide the theoretical underpinning and academic rigor of the program. The career-related study further supports the program’s academic strength and provides practical, real-world approaches to learning. And the CP Core helps them to develop skills and competencies required for lifelong learning through four components – approaches to learning, community service, language development, and the culminating reflective project.
- Two-year program for 11th and 12th grade
- Two+ IB Diploma classes
- Two-year career-related study
- The CP Core: approaches to learning, community service, language development, and the Reflective Project
- Graduate with industry certification and DP certificates
- To be offered at Henrico HS
- Graduates are College and Career Ready