BEFORE YOU BEGIN!
- The online application is only available to current HCPS Grade 8 students.
- All parents or guardians must complete an online Parent Authorization and Waiver Form.
- This form will be accessible through the PowerSchool Parent Portal starting on Nov. 11 and will close at 4 PM on Jan. 16.
- The form is located under the menu on the left: “Specialty Center” (star icon).
- Once the permission form has been submitted, your child will have access to the program within 24 hours after the application window begins on Nov. 18.
For more information regarding HCPS specialty centers and the application process, please visit our specialty centers page.
Student Application Directions:
Once the parent or guardian submits the Parent Authorization and Waiver Form and it has been 24 hours, students can access the online application at: https://hcpsapps.henrico.k12.va.us/ to begin your application.
1. Please select the link “Specialty Center Online Application” and use your HCPS credentials to log in. Note: PowerSchool Parent Portal credentials will not allow access to the application.
2. Review the Home Tab. It contains important information.
3. Once you are ready to begin, select the “Create Application” button at top right.
4. Take a moment to verify that your personal information is correct. If you see errors, please report them to your school counseling office before you proceed with the application. This may require you to log out and return to the application on another day.
5. Select Specialty Centers: From this page, select all centers for which you would like to be considered. Once this is complete click the “Process Selections” button at top right.
6. Enter Activities: Enter an activity name, hours per week, grade levels of participation and the description of each activity you wish to include. Each time you save an activity in the application, the activity will show up at the bottom of that page. Once you have completed all activity entries, click on the “Finish Activities” button at top right. Note: You must include at least one activity, but may include no more than five.
7. Teacher Recommendations: Select two teachers from your school to request recommendations. One of the teachers you select should be from a core subject area (math, English, science or history). Each time you select a teacher, save your progress. When you complete two selections, click once on the “Complete Recommendations” button.
8. If you applied to the Center for the Arts (dance, music, theatre and/or visual arts) under the Select Specialty Centers tab, you will need to select an audition session. Click once on the blue edit button next to the center to select an audition session. Once you have selected the audition session, click once on the “Apply Changes” button.
9. Before you select the “Finalize Application” button, review your activities, specialty center selections, audition selections (if applicable) and teacher recommendation selections. Note: At this point you can still make changes by clicking on the tabs.
10. Once you select “Finalize Application” and select continue, you will be directed to the project page. If the center to which you are applying requires a project, you will see the information on this page. Print this page and complete all projects. Another option is to use the snipping tool to snip and save.
11. An email is generated to the student’s Contact 1 and Contact 2 on file in PowerSchool, letting them know the application has been received and is being processed. They are reminded to follow up with their student to ensure they complete any required projects or attend any mandatory events.
12. Application Summary tab: Click on this tab to review or print a summary of your submission. You may return to the application during the submission window to review the applicant summary and completed projects. If you have changes to your application, see your counselor.
13. You may return to the application during the submission window to review the applicant summary and completed projects. If you have changes to your application, see your counselor.
14. Once the window closes, you will no longer be able to see this information.
15. Project Dropbox – Students will need to drop their required projects into the Schoology course “Specialty Center Writing Samples and Projects”. Example: Brookland MS Specialty Center Writing Samples & Projects).