We Are Here To Help!
The Department of Human Resources Licensure Office acts as a liaison with the Virginia Department of Education’s Office of Teacher Education and Licensure. We assist Henrico County Public Schools contracted teachers and other school professionals with all licensure matters. Contracted instructional personnel are required to obtain a Virginia Department of Education License with appropriate endorsement(s). An endorsement area is the subject area you are licensed to teach or serve.
The HCPS Human Resources Licensure Department will process all documentation and requests to change a non-renewable provisional license to a full, renewable 10-year license. Provisionally Licensed Holders must complete all requirements under their provisional license prior to the expiration date of the provisional license in order to meet contract requirements for the next school year. Please contact the HCPS Human Resources Licensure Department, Attn: Shelby Elliott, if you have any questions regarding your outstanding requirements and as soon as all requirements are satisfied.
INITIAL LICENSURE FOR CAREER AND TECHNICAL EDUCATION (Agriculture Education, Business and Information Technology, Family and Consumer Sciences, Health & Medical Sciences, Marketing Education, Technology Education, Specialized Trades and Industrial Education)
Section § 22.1-298.1 of the Code of Virginia requires that every teacher seeking an initial license in the Commonwealth with an endorsement in the area of career and technical education shall have an industry certification credential in the area in which the teacher seeks endorsement. If a teacher seeking an initial license in the Commonwealth has not attained an industry certification credential in the area in which the teacher seeks endorsement, the Board may, upon request of the employing school division or educational agency, issue the teacher a provisional license to allow time for the teacher to attain such credential.
For detailed information regarding 1) the teacher-eligible list of Board of Education-approved industry certification examinations, (2) the issuing organization, and (3) the specific career and technical education (CTE) area(s), including the corresponding endorsement codes, refer to the Industry Credentials for Teachers Seeking an Initial Virginia License with Endorsement(s) in an Area of Career and Technical Education Guidance Document (Word) (Revised May 2018).
Complete a total of 180 professional development points.
VDOE License Renewal Manual: http://www.doe.virginia.gov/teaching/licensure/licensure-renewal-manual.docx
(Please see definitions and instructions You must earn these points during the validity period of your license and list them on
an Individualized Renewal Record (IRR).
- Consult with your Principal or Professional Development Planner annually to review and verify your IRR.
Submit the following to the HCPS Office of Professional Learning & Leadership:
- Original, official transcripts containing the courses taken or documentation of professional development activities.
- A copy of the Certificate of Completion for “Child Abuse & Neglect: Recognizing, Reporting, and Responding for Educators” module at: http://www.dss.virginia.gov/abuse/mr.cgi
- A copy of the Certificate of Completion for “Emergency First Aid, CPR (Hands-on) & AED Training”: http://www.doe.virginia.gov/teaching/licensure/emergency_first_aid_cpr_aed/index.shtml
- A copy of the Certificate of Completion for “Dyslexia Awareness” module:
- A copy of the Certificate of Completion for “Virginia History or State and Local Government” module (if applicable, based on respective endorsements):
- A copy of the Certificate of Completion for “Mental Health Disorder and Behavioral Distress Training” (if you have an endorsement in school counseling):
- Completed Individualized Renewal Record (IRR form) signed by your Principal, Assistant Principal or Principal’s designee.
- Submit $50 check made payable to Treasurer of Virginia.
- License renewals may be submitted beginning January 1 of the renewal year. Failure to submit renewal information could result in your contract being held in May until requirements are submitted. If those requirements are not met by July 1, your name may be submitted to the School Board for non-renewal of contract due to licensure and your position will be considered vacant.
Please send all license renewal documentation and completed IRR forms to the Office of Professional Learning & Leadership, Attn: James Coleman, 3820 Nine Mile Road, Henrico, VA 23223-0480. For additional questions, contact James Coleman, Jmcoleman@henrico.k12.va.us
Teachers needing to add endorsement(s):
- Submit notification to the Human Resources, Attn: Shelby Elliott requesting the addition of the endorsement(s) to your teaching license. Include any official transcript(s) (only an original transcript as provided from the issuing school will be accepted), supporting documentation and/or copies of Praxis Subject Assessment Score Reports.
- For adding any one of the following endorsements, please contact Shelby Elliott through email at firstname.lastname@example.org for the additional requirements needed:
- Administrative and Supervision PreK-12
- Driver Education
- Gifted Education
- Library Media PreK-12
- Mathematics Specialist for Elementary and Middle Education
- Reading Specialist
- School Counseling PreK-12
- Submit a check or money order made payable to the Treasurer of Virginia ($50 per endorsement).
Submit an official, original transcript indicating conferral/awarding of the degree to the Department of Human Resources, Attn: Shelby Elliott. Only an official, original transcript issued by the respective higher education institution will be accepted.
- Please do not request the transcript to be mailed directly to the Department of Human Resources, but rather to be mailed directly to you in order to include in your request packet.
- Attach a note requesting the adding of the degree. In order to receive a salary adjustment for a master’s degree, it is imperative that a note accompanies the transcript.
- Verification received after March 30 will be recognized with the beginning of the following school year for any applicable salary increase.
- You will also need to add this degree to your teaching license to change it from a Collegiate Professional to a Postgraduate Professional License. Please include a check or money order in the amount of $25made payable to the Treasurer of Virginia.
You may change the name on your license at any time. In order to complete this request, you must notify in writing
the appropriate name change (from ___ to ___ ) to the HCPS Licensure Office. If the request is in conjunction
with your license renewal or the addition of any degree/endorsement change, there will be no additional cost for this name change. However, there will be a $25 charge (check or money order made payable to the Treasurer of Virginia) to process any name change requests not associated with a license renewal or any other licensure action.
When you have obtained National Board Certification (NBCT), please contact HCPS Human Resources Licensure Department immediately, Attn: Shelby Elliott or Jessica Dadey to provide verification of your NBCT certificate. This verification is required in order to obtain the annual NBCT Incentive Award/Stipend.
For additional information:
- VDOE Guidelines for Distributing National Board Incentive Awards is:
- National Board for Professional Teaching Standards
- VDOE Guidelines for Distributing National Board Incentive Awards is:
Search VDOE database of active teaching and educator licenses issued by the Board of Education:
Contact the Office of Professional Learning and Leadership at 804-652-3679 for questions and forms:
- Tuition Reimbursement
- SD2 Forms
- IRR Forms
[av_hr class=’custom’ height=’50’ shadow=’no-shadow’ position=’center’ custom_border=’av-border-thin’ custom_width=’300px’ custom_border_color=’#f2af32′ custom_margin_top=’10px’ custom_margin_bottom=’10px’ icon_select=’yes’ custom_icon_color=’#f2af32′ icon=’ue808′ font=’entypo-fontello’]
Shelby Elliott, Human Resources Analyst 804-652-3429