2019-20 Henrico County Public Schools
After considering feedback and recommendations, the Henrico School Board has adopted a final calendar for the 2019-20 school year. Creating the best calendar for a school year requires a lot of coordination and communication. Thanks to everyone who shared views during the process.
In the 2019-20 school year:
- Classes will begin Tuesday, Sept. 3, 2019 (in Virginia, school divisions are required by law to open after Labor Day unless a waiver is granted by the Virginia Department of Education.)
- Winter Break is Monday, Dec. 23, 2019 – Friday, Jan. 3, 2020. Students return to class Monday, Jan. 6, 2020.
- Spring Break is Monday, April 6, 2020– Friday, April 10, 2020 plus an additional student and staff holiday on Monday, April 13, 2020.
- Classes end Friday, June 12, 2020.
- There are student half-days and student holidays in order to provide dedicated planning and professional learning time for Henrico Schools’ staff. There are seven student half-days in the 2019-20 calendar, which is more than in recent years.
- The calendar includes one possible make-up day: Monday, Feb. 17, 2020.
How the calendar process works:
How does a calendar come together? First, a committee comprised of representatives of metro-Richmond-area school divisions discussed dates for Winter Break, Spring Break, first semester, and the end of the year in order to align for consistency.
A committee comprised of teachers, administrators, parents and high school students made initial recommendations to the School Board in fall 2018. Members of the public provided input on the proposal, and school division staff made updates to the proposal based on that feedback. HCPS staff members presented a final draft to the School Board, and the Board approved it Dec. 13.