Three major HCPS construction projects were dedicated for the 2021-22 school year, ensuring that students in their Henrico County communities have first-class facilities for generations to come. In September 2018, Henrico officials announced the replacement of both J.R. Tucker and Highland Springs high schools. Those facilities were constructed at the current school sites and opened for the 2021-22 school year. In May of 2018, school officials recommended plans to build a major addition to Holladay Elementary, which also opened in 2021. The Holladay addition was paid for through the 2016 bond referendum, which Henrico voters approved by a vote of 84%. The high schools were also financed with bond-referendum funding, along with funds from the 2013 voter-approved meals tax. The meals tax also pays for renovations to aging schools across Henrico County, including upgrades to outdated bathrooms, gyms, HVAC systems, lighting, safety features and more.
J.R. Tucker High School
The new J.R. Tucker High School was built on the existing football field at the school’s North Parham Road campus. The old school buildings were demolished. The new building’s design incorporates brick suggesting the orange of the JRTHS school colors.
Highland Springs High School
The new Highland Springs High School was built on a wooded lot adjacent to the old campus in Highland Springs. The old school, built in 1952 and renovated in 2008, will be repurposed as a full-service community school hub by Henrico County Public Schools. The new design uses red brick that matches the original school.
Holladay Elementary School
The addition to Elizabeth Holladay Elementary School doubled its size. In 2019, the school celebrated its 50th anniversary with a gathering that brought alumni and former staff members back to campus.
Photos and video by Henrico County Government.