Beat the “summer slide”
Summer slide isn’t a piece of playground equipment – it’s the tendency for students to lose some of the progress they’ve made during the academic year. But there are ways to keep your students’ skills sharp and have fun all summer long. Shannon Hyman of HCPS’ Library Services Department offers ways families can fight summer slide:
- Read aloud together with your student every day, at every age.
- Play reading bingo! Find bingo cards at our summer reading page.
- Road-tripping this summer? Borrow audiobooks and listen as a family.
- Check out the summer reading program at Henrico County Public Libraries.
- Remember, if you want your student to read, give them ample opportunities to see YOU reading, too!
For details, resources and lots more ways to foster reading this summer, go to HCPS' summer reading page.