Henrico Health Department offering appointments for school immunizations
The Henrico County Health Department is offering appointments for back-to-school immunizations. Immunizations will be offered Aug. 27, 29 and 31 to students in preschool through 12th grade. Services on these days are by appointment and will be at the Henrico County Health Department’s West Clinic at 8600 Powers Drive.
Welcome Dr. Amy Cashwell, Henrico Schools’ new superintendent
In June, the Henrico School Board unanimously selected Dr. Amy E. Cashwell as Henrico County Public Schools’ new superintendent. A longtime educator, Cashwell comes to Henrico with a wealth of experience and a passion for public education. Cashwell has been busy getting to know Henrico Schools’ 72 schools and program centers and will continue to visit and talk with members of the community, including students, families, staff members, Henrico residents and leaders in business, education and government.
Before becoming Henrico Schools’ superintendent, Cashwell was chief academic officer for Virginia Beach City Public Schools’ Department of Teaching and Learning, overseeing departments. She was also a Virginia Beach teacher and principal – and a graduate of the city’s Kempsville High School. Henrico Schools’ new leader earned a bachelor’s degree from Longwood University, and master’s and doctoral degrees from the George Washington University. She replaces Patrick Kinlaw, who retired as superintendent in June after a career in public education that spanned more than 40 years. Find out more about HCPS’ new leader and read a brief interview.
Come meet Dr. Cashwell at several informal meet-and-greet sessions:
- Aug. 16 from 4:30-5:30 p.m.: Varina Area Library (1875 New Market Road)
- Aug. 20 from 4:30-5:30 p.m.: Fairfield Area Library (1001 N. Laburnum Ave.)
- Aug. 21 from 5-6 p.m.: Libbie Mill Library (2100 Libbie Lake E. St.)
- Aug. 22 from 4:30-5:30 p.m.: Tuckahoe Area Library (1901 Starling Drive)
The superintendent will also be hosting town hall meetings, which will include a short presentation and a time to ask questions and share your ideas. All meetings are from 6:30-8 p.m.:
- Sept. 19: Short Pump Middle School (4701 Pouncey Tract Road)
- Oct. 1: L. Douglas Wilder Middle School (6900 Wilkinson Road)
- Oct. 2: John Rolfe Middle School (6901 Messer Road)
- Oct. 4: Quioccasin Middle School (9400 Quioccasin Road)
- Oct. 9: Hungary Creek Middle School (4909 Francistown Road)