8th graders: Learn about options for high school at fall information sessions and open houses
Henrico, Va. Sept. 13, 2022 — From the arts to the environment, Henrico County Public Schools high school specialty centers offer students the chance to focus on a subject they love. The school division will hold two in-person information sessions in September and October to enable families and students to learn more about specialty centers and the process for applying. Later in October and November, individual specialty centers will host open houses at their high school campuses.
Each general information session will feature an introduction and various breakout sessions about each center. Families and students can attend up to three breakout sessions. Each of the two information sessions will offer identical information.
General information sessions for HCPS high school specialty centers
Sept. 28 (6:30–8:30 p.m.)
Highland Springs High School, 200 S. Airport Drive, Highland Springs, Va. 23075
Oct. 6 (6:30–8:30 p.m.)
Glen Allen High School, 10700 Staples Mill Road, Glen Allen, Va. 23060
The school division added two new specialty centers for the 2022-23 school year — one devoted to environmental studies and another to health-care services. The Center for Environmental Studies and Sustainability is located at Varina High School, with a satellite campus planned near the James River. The Center for Allied Health and Human Services is now open at Hermitage High School. To learn more about the school division’s high school specialty centers, go to https://henricoschools.us/specialty-centers/.
Individual specialty centers will also host open houses at their schools to help families become more familiar with their programs.
Schedule of open houses for HCPS high school specialty centers and programs (all open houses start at 7 p.m.)
- Advanced Career Education centers at Hermitage, Highland Springs and Virginia Randolph (joint open house Oct. 26 at the ACE Center at Hermitage)
- Advance College Academy for Business Administration (Nov. 2 at Highland Springs High School)
- Advance College Academy for Social Sciences (Oct. 18 at J.R. Tucker High School)
- Center for Allied Health and Human Services (Nov. 15 at Hermitage High School)
- Center for the Arts (Nov. 14 at Henrico High School)
- Center for Communications and Media Relations (Nov. 1 at Varina High School)
- Center for Education and Human Development (Nov. 17 at Glen Allen High School)
- Center for Engineering (Oct. 13 at Highland Springs High School)
- Center for Environmental Studies and Sustainability (Nov. 9 at Varina High School)
- Center for the Humanities (Nov. 10 at Hermitage High School)
- Center for Information Technology (Oct. 25 at Deep Run High School)
- Center for Leadership, Government and Global Economics (Oct. 26 at Douglas Freeman High School)
- Center for Spanish Language and Global Citizenship (Oct. 19 at J.R. Tucker High School)
- International Baccalaureate programs (Oct. 27 at Henrico High School)
- International Baccalaureate programs (Nov. 3 at J.R. Tucker High School)
- The Todd A. Phillips Center for Medical Sciences (Nov. 16 at Mills Godwin High School)