Henrico, Va. June 7, 2021 — This is a reminder that Henrico County Public Schools has made two recent adjustments to its June calendar:
- There will be virtual learning for all HCPS students and teachers Tuesday, June 8 for Virginia’s political primary elections. The change was adopted in order to prioritize safety and minimize disruptions. Fifty-eight HCPS schools serve as polling places and host campus visitors who don’t go through HCPS’ normal process for welcoming visitors.
- The school division will be closed Friday, June 18 in observance of Juneteenth, the holiday marking the end of slavery. The holiday falls on June 19 each year. June 18 had been scheduled as the final day of school for students, and a half day. The Henrico School Board voted to adopt the change at its May 13 work session.
The adjustments result in the following changes to the 2020-21 school calendar:
- Tuesday, June 8: Virtual learning for all students (Virginia primary day)
- Thursday, June 17: Last day of classes
- Thursday, June 17: Last day for teachers
- Friday, June 18: Student and staff holiday
In June 2020, Henrico County Public Schools led the region by celebrating Juneteenth and making Monday, June 22, 2020, a staff holiday. Almost four months later, Gov. Ralph Northam signed Executive Order 66 in October, making the 19th day of June a permanent annual holiday in Virginia.
Juneteenth recalls June 19, 1865, the day that news of the abolishment of slavery reached those still enslaved in Galveston, Texas. The news came two years after President Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation, abolishing slavery in the Confederate states.