Henrico, Va., March 22, 2021 — Certification from the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards is the teaching profession’s highest mark of accomplishment. This year, 32 Henrico County Public Schools teachers met that remarkable standard, the most ever for HCPS. In addition to those earning certification status for the first time, five teachers renewed their certifications. HCPS’ 32-teacher class:
- Is the most of any school division in Virginia this year.
- Is the sixth largest group in the nation.
- Makes HCPS No. 4 in Virginia for board-certified instructors on staff. The three school divisions in the commonwealth with more board-certified teachers on staff are all larger than Henrico.
- Is the most ever in one year for HCPS.
Becoming certified is a rigorous process. Teachers must submit detailed portfolios to be reviewed by their peers. The portfolios include videos of the candidates teaching, documented professional accomplishments, reflective essays and examples of student work. Teachers must also pass an exam relevant to his or her subject and level of instruction.
The teachers will be recognized in an online pinning ceremony April 14, along with teachers from the city of Richmond and the counties of Chesterfield and Hanover.
The newly certified teachers from Henrico County Public Schools are:
- Miriam Ashworth, Mills Godwin High School.
- M.C. Bernheart, Short Pump Elementary School.
- Elizabeth Broda, Henrico High School.
- Tara Brown, Gifted Young Scholars Academy at L. Douglas Wilder Middle School.
- Eric Byers, Highland Springs High School.
- Rebecca Chipman, Henrico High School.
- Phyllis Claytor, Douglas Freeman High School.
- Marina Croce-Andueza, Mills Godwin High School.
- Megan DeRose, J.R. Tucker High School.
- Lauren Dickerson, Short Pump Elementary School.
- Debbie Fazenbaker, Maybeury Elementary School.
- Elizabeth Giffin, Hermitage High School.
- Melissa Glanden, Pinchbeck Elementary School.
- Sean Gulla, Sandston Elementary School.
- Tedra Hall, Quioccasin Middle School.
- Katie Hassen, Glen Allen Elementary School.
- Valerie Hume, Maybeury Elementary School.
- Nicholas E. Ingraham, Henrico High School.
- Dawn W, Johns, Pinchbeck Elementary School.
- Jennifer Jones, Hermitage High School.
- Gregory Lyndaker, Henrico High School.
- Morgan Meadowes, Douglas Freeman High School.
- Sharon Middleton, Skipwith Elementary School.
- Dana Morris, Mills Godwin High School.
- Morgan Nash, Deep Run High School.
- Ashley O’Carroll, Highland Springs High School.
- Elizabeth Phillips, Harvie Elementary School.
- Erin Rettig, Ridge Elementary School.
- Stephanie Salisbury, Hermitage High School.
- Janet K. Smith, Douglas Freeman High School.
- Katherine Snow, J.R. Tucker High School.
- Jennifer Tolley, Deep Run High School.
Henrico teachers recognized for renewing their certification are:
- Calypso Gilstrap, Tuckahoe Middle School.
- Kari King, Dumbarton Elementary School.
- Faith Sampat, Johnson Elementary School.
- Elizabeth Walsh, Johnson Elementary School.
- Sean Young, Henrico High School.