Henrico, Va., Dec. 11, 2020 — “Destination 2025: The Plan for HCPS” articulates six goals for Henrico County Public Schools, methods to reach them and how the goals conform to the school division’s values. Each year a steering committee revisits HCPS’ progress on the 2018-2025 strategic plan and suggests revisions. Members of the public are invited to comment on the latest revisions before the School Board’s expected vote at its Jan. 28 meeting.
“Destination 2025: The Plan for HCPS” merges an earlier version of the school division’s comprehensive strategic plan with another document known as “Amy’s Passport” (Superintendent Amy Cashwell’s 2018-19 booklet of reflections, recommendations and next steps) to create a roadmap for HCPS’ continuous progress. The earlier version of the comprehensive strategic plan for HCPS was created during the 2017-18 school year, thanks to the involvement of more than 300 committee members, students, families and HCPS staff. It also includes input from focus groups, community input events, two online surveys and a public hearing. Because the earlier strategic plan and “Amy’s Passport” shared similarities, they have now merged to become one plan.
The Plan is divided into six goals HCPS wants to achieve by 2025, how the school division will get there, and how those goals align with HCPS’ values, or cornerstones.
Where does HCPS want to go?
By 2025, HCPS wants to be clearly defined by:
- Academic excellence.
- An inclusive, safe and supportive climate.
- Recruiting, retaining and rewarding educators.
- Cultivating and maintaining collaborative partnerships.
- Strength in diversity.
- An equitable and secure environment.
How does HCPS get there?
A destination is no good without movement. The Plan details a host of steps HCPS should take to achieve the vision described by the six defining goals above.
Is HCPS on the right path?
The goals and the ways the school system plans to reach them align with one or more of HCPS’ four cornerstones, or core values:
- Safety and wellness.
- Academic growth.
- Equity and opportunity.
The draft of the complete revised Plan is available by going to https://henricoschools.us/strategic-plan/. Members of the public can comment on the plan using one of the three methods below. All comments will be given careful consideration, no matter how they are submitted.
- Email Tiffany Hinton, director of HCPS’ Department of Assessment, Research and Evaluation at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Attend a public hearing Jan. 14 at 5:30 p.m. in the auditorium of New Bridge Learning Center, 5915 Nine Mile Road, Henrico, Va., 23223.
- Email the School Board. The Board is expected to vote on the revised Plan at its Jan. 28 meeting. An email sent to this address will be sent to all five Board members: email@example.com.