Henrico, Va. Sept. 23, 2020 — October is Hispanic Heritage Month, and Henrico County Public Schools will host four virtual events as part of the observance. The events include a panel discussion on activist Dolores Huerta; a teacher panel on Hispanic representation in education; a presentation on community resources; and a discussion of language in the Hispanic community. The events are free and are presented by HCPS’ Department of Equity, Diversity and Opportunity. While some events are geared toward particular audiences, everyone is welcome to attend.
All four events are virtual, and students, staff and members of the public can participate using Microsoft Teams. Please register for the events by going to https://tinyurl.com/HCPSHispanicHeritage2020. The day before the event, you will receive a link via email to join the event.
2020-21 HCPS Hispanic Heritage Series:
- Discussion on Dolores Huerta (Sept. 24 at 4 p.m.) *
Join us for a discussion about Dolores Huerta, American labor leader and civil rights activist, who cofounded the National Farmworkers Association with Caesar Chavez.
- Latinx Teacher Panel (Oct. 1 at 4:30 p.m.) *#
HCPS teachers of Hispanic heritage will discuss Latinx representation in education.
- Community Resources (Oct. 8 at 6:30 p.m.)
Michael Zajur of the Virginia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce will discuss a variety of community resources of interest to the Hispanic community.
- The Power of Language (Oct. 15 at 4:30 p.m.) *#
Lisa Zajur of the Virginia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce will discuss the importance of language in the Hispanic community.
* May be of particular interest to instructional staff.
# May be of particular interest to administrators.
You can take part in the events without creating a Teams account:
- If you are accessing the session from a mobile device, you may be prompted to download the Microsoft Teams app, but you can participate using the “desktop version” of a mobile browser instead.
- If you are participating using a Mac or PC, you can download the Teams app or join using a browser.