Looking for 2021-22 calendar? Visit this page.
After considering feedback and recommendations, the Henrico School Board adopts a final calendar for each school year. The calendar for 2020-21 seeks to accomplish a variety of ends, including a post-Labor-Day start; planning, clerical and professional learning time for teachers; and more opportunities to observe religious holidays in an increasingly diversifying community. Creating the best calendar for a school year requires a great deal of coordination and communication. Thanks to everyone who participated in the process, including citizens who gave input and the HCPS calendar committee.
2020-21 school year:
- Classes begin Tuesday, Sept. 8, 2020.
- Thanksgiving Break is Nov. 25-27, 2020.
- Winter Break is Dec. 21–Jan. 1. School reopens Jan. 4, 2021.
- The last day of classes is June 18, 2021.
A month-by-month look at the 2020-21 calendar
- July 2: Offices closed for Independence Day
- July 3, 10, 17, 24, 31: Offices closed
- Aug. 7, 14, 21: Offices closed
- Aug. 24-28: New Teacher Academy
- Aug. 31: Teacher workweek, professional learning and work days
- Sept. 1-4: Teacher workweek, professional learning and work days
- Sept. 7: Schools closed – Labor Day
- Sept. 8: First day of school
- Sept. 28: Yom Kippur – student and teacher holiday and clerical day
- Nov. 3: Election Day – student holiday, teacher professional learning and clerical day
- Nov. 13: Diwali – student and teacher holiday (Diwali is Nov. 14, but is being observed Nov. 13.)
- Nov. 25-27: Schools Closed – Thanksgiving holiday
- Dec. 21-31: Schools Closed – Winter Break (includes Christmas. Winter Break continues in January.)
- Jan. 1: Schools closed for Winter Break – New Year’s Day
- Jan: 4: Schools reopen following Winter Break
- Jan. 18: Schools closed – Martin Luther King Jr. holiday
- Jan. 22: Student half day (PRE-K THROUGH GRADE 5 ONLY), staff clerical day
- Jan. 29: Student half day (GRADES 6-12 ONLY), staff clerical day
- Feb. 15: Student half day, staff professional learning day
- March 12: Student half day, teacher professional learning
- April 2: Student half day, staff clerical day
- April 4: Easter
- April 5-9: Schools closed – Spring Break (Easter is April 4)
- Kindergarten registration begins
- May 13: Eid al-Fitr – student and teacher holiday
- May 31: Schools closed – Memorial Day holiday
- Student exam week/high school early dismissal
- June 18: Last day of classes – student half day, staff clerical day
- June 18: Last day for teachers
- June 25: Offices closed