Henrico, Va. Dec. 13, 2019 – The Henrico School Board voted Thursday at its monthly meeting to adopt a calendar for the 2020-21 school year that includes two full weeks of Winter Break and more student holidays. After getting input from the community through three community meetings and an online survey, the school division’s calendar committee recommended that the School Board choose what has been referred to as “calendar Version B.” The adopted calendar seeks to accomplish a variety of ends, including a post-Labor-Day start; planning, clerical and professional learning time for teachers; and more opportunities to observe religious holidays in an increasingly diversifying community.
Highlights of 2020-21 HCPS calendar:
• Sept. 8: First day of school.
• Sept. 28: Yom Kippur (student holiday, teacher professional learning and clerical day).
• Nov. 3: Student holiday, teacher professional learning and clerical day.
• Nov. 13: Diwali (student holiday, teacher professional learning and clerical day; Diwali is Nov. 14, but is being observed Nov. 13).
• Nov. 25-27: Thanksgiving holiday.
• Dec. 21-Jan. 1: Winter Break (includes Christmas).
• Jan. 4: Schools reopen following Winter Break.
• Jan. 18: Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.
• Jan. 29: Student half day, staff clerical day.
• Feb. 15: Student half day, staff professional learning day.
• Mar. 12: Student half day, teacher professional learning.
• April 2: Student half day, staff clerical day.
• April 5-9: Spring Break (Easter is April 4, 2021).
• May 13: Eid al-Fitr (student holiday, teacher professional learning and clerical day).
• May 31: Memorial Day holiday.
• June 18: Last day of school (student half day, staff clerical day).
See the complete calendar at henricoschools.us/2020-2021-calendar/.
While Virginia school divisions now have the option to begin the school year before Labor Day, Henrico Schools didn’t consider that option for 2020-21. Opening before Labor Day will be considered for future school year calendars. Work will begin on the 2021-22 calendar in early 2020.