How can your business or other community organization prosper – while making a big difference? Consider a school-community partnership! To form a partnership, a Henrico County school teams up with a community group or business in a cooperative relationship. Partnerships can be big or small, wide-ranging or tightly focused. They can include contributions of materials or funds, direct assistance to students, staff support or something else. But all partnerships have some things in common.
A school-community partnership:
- Pairs a school with a business, faith-based group or another community organization.
- Is mutually beneficial.
- Is ongoing or has the potential to be ongoing.
- Involves shared values, objectives, and/or human or financial resources.
- Must produce an outcome that enhances the learning environment.
- Includes specific, agreed-upon responsibilities of both the school and community group.
Community partners provide a variety of services:
- Rewards and incentives for achievement
- Enhanced instruction and workshops
- Healthy food, clothing and other basic needs
- Discounts and appreciation for teachers
- Spirit nights and other fundraisers
- Tutoring and mentoring
- School supplies
- Landscaping and other improvements
- Donations of money and materials
See how community organizations and businesses are helping our schools – and benefitting themselves.
Find schools near your business, church or home.
The HCPS Department of Communications and Public Relations oversees the school-community partnership program, and can help direct you to a possible partner school. Schools and community organizations work out the details of their partnership together, and fill out a joint partnership agreement form, which must then be approved.
Chris OBrion, Communications & Public Relations 804-652-3724