The English as a Second Language Welcome Center is located at J.R. Tucker High School, 2910 Parham Road, Henrico, Va. 23294. For more information, please call the Welcome Center at 804-527-4604.
- Assistance with registration
- Assessment of English language proficiency
- Information on school and community resources
- Request a meeting at a school with an interpreter
- إذا كنت ترغب في وجود مترجم لمساعدتك خلال إجتماع في المدرسة، یمكنك طلب عقد إجتماع و وجود مترجم عن طریق الرابط
الإلكتروني المتاح بمجرد الإنتھاء من تعبأة الإستمارة المحددة، یرجي إرسال الإستمارة إلي المكتب الرئیسي لمدرسة طفلك
نحن سعداء لتقدیم ھذه الخدمة كما نرید جمیع الأسر أن تشعر بالراحة في كل لقاء و ضمان أن جمیع المحادثات مفھومة لدي جمیع .
- Required documentation:
- Original birth certificate
- Immunization record (K-12)
- Comprehensive physical exam (K-5 only)
- Report cards and transcripts from last school attended
- Proof of domicile in Henrico county (lease, deed or bill)
- If all documents are in order, registration proceeds. Parents receive assistance completing standard forms required by all schools. In addition to completing forms, parents and students discuss the Henrico County Code of Student Conduct, bus safety, report cards, the school calendar and other pertinent information.
- Assessment of proficiency level: As part of the registration process, students participate in an assessment of English language proficiency to determine the need for and level of ESL instruction.
- Transcript evaluation: High school students who have transcripts will have them analyzed in order to award credit for courses studied in their home countries.
- Parents as Educational Partners (PEP)
PEP is designed to empower language-minority parents to become decision-makers and advocates for their children’s education. It targets parents of ESL students in grades K-12 of any language or cultural background. It is free for all ESL parents and is offered in the fall at multiple locations for a period of six to eight weeks. Information is available through the ESL Welcome Center.
- The Welcome Center provides information about adult ESL courses offered through HCPS and in the larger community. The Center also offers information about health care, child care, social services and citizenship.
VIDEO: Learn More about the Welcome Center