The Student Support and Disciplinary Review Office supports the division’s priorities of establishing relationships, student safety, academic progress and closing gaps by delivering services that specialize in student supports and interventions.
Student supports and interventions include, but are not limited to:
Preventative Services – Catava Burton, Specialist
- Behavior Support Team
- Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports
- Behavior Support Coordinator
K-12 Interventions – Tabatha Spurlock, Specialist
Our primary goal is to help our students make better choices; and as a result, reduce the time away from direct instruction due to suspensions or expulsions.
We support School Board policy and the Code of Student Conduct by:
- Visiting schools to establish genuine relationships with students and to support HCPS staff regarding student behavior.
- Providing behavioral support and coaching to instructional staff.
- Providing professional development opportunities that train school staff on issues that impact student behavior.
- Providing training and coaching to school staff on PBIS, based on students’ needs, classroom environment and school climate.
- Delivering intervention programs that address dropout prevention and inappropriate student behavior.
- Providing mentors for students at our middle and high schools; several elementary schools; and our alternative sites.
- Providing training to HCPS staff members about the implementation of the Code of Student Conduct.
- Ensuring the establishment of guidelines for student conduct that are acceptable and appropriate within the school environment.
- Ensuring that the Code of Student Conduct and the disciplinary process and procedures are managed effectively, consistently, efficiently and legally as set forth in School Board policies.