We Are Here To Help!
The Department of Human Resources Licensure Office acts as a liaison with the Virginia Department of Education’s Office of Teacher Education and Licensure. We assist Henrico County Public Schools contracted teachers and other school professionals to obtain and maintain valid licensure. Contracted instructional personnel are required to obtain a Virginia School Personnel License with appropriate endorsement(s). An endorsement area is the subject area you are licensed to teach or serve. Meeting the Technology Standards, the Child Abuse Recognition and Intervention training, the First Aid, CPR & AED competencies, and Virginia State and Local Civics Module (if applicable), are required for contracted instructional personnel renewing their five-year professional licenses.
- Complete a total of 180 professional development points (Please see definitions and instructions You must earn these points during the validity period of your license and list them on an Individualized Renewal Record (IRR).
- Consult with your principal or advisor annually, or as needed, to review and verify your IRR. (If you hold a bachelor’s degree only, a minimum of 90 points or 3 semester hours must be taken from an accredited two or four year college/university in the content area of one’s assignment or endorsement. In addition, coursework in technology, classroom management, special education, gifted education or English as a Second Language (ESL) may satisfy the content course requirement for one cycle of the renewal process).
Submit the following to the HCPS Staff Development Office:
- Completed Individualized Renewal Record (IRR form) signed by your Principal, Assistant Principal or Principal’s designee.
- If not previously submitted, a signed and completed Technology Standards Proficiency form. Individual tasks can be initialed by Technology Trainer or principal’s designee, the bottom of the form must be signed by the principal.
- Original, official transcripts containing the courses taken.
- If not previously submitted, a copy of the Certificate of Completion for “Child Abuse & Neglect: Recognizing, Reporting, and Responding for Educators” course at www.vcu.edu/vissta/training/va_teachers.
- If not previously submitted, a copy of the Virginia State and Local Civics Module Training Certificate (if applicable, based on respective endorsements).
- Submit $25 check made out to Treasurer of Virginia.
- Renewals may be submitted beginning January 1 of the renewal year. All renewals are due no later than March 15 for those licenses expiring June 30 of the current school year. Failure to submit renewal information will result in your contract being held until requirements are submitted.
- Please send completed IRR forms to the Staff Development Office, 3820 Nine Mile Road, Henrico, VA 23223-0480
Teachers needing to add endorsement(s):
- Submit notification to the Licensure Office requesting the addition of the endorsement(s) to their teaching license. Include any official transcript(s) (only an original transcript as provided from the issuing school will be accepted) and supporting documentation, i.e., course descriptions or syllabi.
- Submit $25 check made out to Treasurer of Virginia.
- If the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) finds…. All of the required coursework is met, the teacher is issued a license with the new endorsement(s).
Deficiency in coursework (6 credit hours or less) for the additional endorsement, the teacher may be issued a provisional license with the new endorsement(s), if the endorsement is needed for current job assignment, and is given time to complete the courses.
Teachers needing to remove endorsement(s):
- Check with your principal to be sure you are not scheduled to teach a class requiring the endorsement you wish to drop.
- Send notification to the licensure office requesting the removal of the endorsement(s) from their teaching licenses.
- Please send requests to the Licensure Office, 3820 Nine Mile Road, Henrico, VA 23223-0420.
- Submit an official, original transcript indicating conferral/awarding of the master’s degree to the Department of Human Resources, Attn: Licensure. Only an official, original transcript issued by the respective higher education institution will be accepted.
- Please do not request the transcript to be mailed directly to the Department of Human Resources, but rather to be mailed directly to you in order to include in your request packet.
- Attach a note requesting the adding of the master’s degree and changing contract information. To assure salary adjustment, it is imperative that a note accompanies the transcript.
- It shall be the responsibility of the employee to appropriately notify the Department of Human Resources, Attn: Licensure in writing when they qualify for a new classification.
- Verification received after March 30 will be recognized with the beginning of the following school year.
- To change your license from a Collegiate Professional to a Postgraduate Professional, please include a check or money order in the amount of $25 made payable to the Treasurer of Virginia.
- To change your license from a Collegiate Professional to a Postgraduate Professional and add an endorsement, please include a check or money order in the amount of $50 made payable to the Treasurer of Virginia.
- For adding any one of the following endorsements, please contact the office of Tanya Farmer through e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional requirements of your packet:
- Administrative and Supervision PreK-12
- Mathematics Specialist for Elementary and Middle Education
- Reading Specialist
Please submit all above outlined documents to the Department of Human Resources Attn: Licensure, 3820 Nine Mile Road, Henrico, VA 23223-0420.
You may change the name on your license at any time. In order to complete this request, you must notify in writing the appropriate name change (from ___ to ___ ) to the HCPS Licensure Office. If the request is in conjunction with your license renewal, there will be no additional cost for this change. However, there will be a $25.00 charge to process any name change requests not associated with a license renewal or other action. In this later case, please attach a check for $25.00, payable to Treasurer of Virginia, with your request.
- Teachers must complete required coursework and submit official transcript(s) (only an original transcript as provided from the issuing school will be accepted) from an accredited college/university to HCPS licensure office before March 1 of the year your license expires.
- Teachers must submit updated official transcripts (only an original transcript as provided from the issuing school will be accepted) to the licensure office at the end of each academic semester to demonstrate progress towards completion of coursework. Acceptable demonstrated progress is completion of 9 semester hours per year.
- Coursework for licensure is divided into two areas. Endorsement requirements and Professional Studies. Endorsement requirements are those classes you need in order to get your endorsement in a particular area, i.e. English, Math, etc. Professional Studies are the educational credits required for licensure.
Recommendations for Special Education Provisional License Holders
- It is highly recommended that all Special Education Provisional License Holders enroll in a special education program in order to fulfill licensure requirements. For applicable program information, visit www.TeachVirginia.org.
- In addition, Tuition Assistance Programs provided by U.S. Dept. of Education Office of Special Education Programs and Virginia Department of Education is available for Special Education Educators. For information of each program, visit www.TeachVirginia.org.
Please send all applicable information to the Licensure Office, 3820 Nine Mile Road, Henrico, VA 23223-0420.
Can I get a Virginia License if I hold a valid out-of-state teaching license or have completed an approved teaching program from a regionally accredited college or university?
If you come into Virginia from any other state, you may qualify for a Virginia teaching license with comparable endorsement areas if you meet at least one of the following two conditions. First, you completed a state-approved teacher training program through a regionally accredited four-year college or university. Second, you hold a valid out-of-state teaching license, which must be in force at the time you apply for a Virginia license. If you are seeking licensure, you must establish a file with the Department of Education by submitting a complete application packet, which includes official transcripts. You must also satisfy the professional teacher’s assessments prescribed by the Virginia Board of Education.
Can I get a Virginia License if I am interested in becoming a guidance counselor, a school social worker, or a school psychologist?
You need a Pupil Personnel Services license. This is a five-year renewable license available to those who earned an appropriate graduate degree from an accredited institution with an endorsement as a guidance counselor, a school psychologist, a school social worker, or a visiting teacher. (This license does not require teaching experience or an assessment exam.)
I am changing careers and have a bachelor’s degree? Can I become a teacher?
It depends on your major and the subject area you are interested in teaching. The Virginia Department of Education uses an alternative method to determine if you meet minimum requirements for licensure. If you are considered for this alternative method, you will have to:
- Meet a total number of credit hours in a specific subject area (endorsement).
- You may also be required to satisfy specific coursework related to that subject area.
- You must satisfy the professional studies requirements and a professional teacher’s assessment prescribed by the Virginia Board of Education
What are the steps I follow to see if I can enter the teaching field through the alternative route to license and receive a provisional license?
- Go to the VDOE web site, www.doe.virginia.gov
- Go to Teachers (top right hand corner)
- Go to Virginia Licensure Regulations for School Personnel.
- Look up area you wish to teach.
- Look at the endorsement requirements and match up endorsement requirements with your classes on your transcripts. If you meet all requirements listed but fall short by no more than 6 credits in your endorsement area, you may be eligible for a provisional license.
If you do not meet the above requirements, you should contact a four-year college or university of your choice.
What do I need to do to get a Special Education Provisional License?
Complete the Prerequisite Minimum Competency coursework, Legal/Ethical Aspects and Characteristics of Individuals with Disabilities.
What is an endorsement area?
It is the subject area that you are licensed to teach or serve.
Do I need a master’s degree to teach in Virginia?
No, only certain endorsement areas require a master’s degree.
Do I need a Virginia teaching license to be offered a contract with HCPS?
No, but you must be eligible for licensure. If you are offered a contract, the HCPS licensure office will help you in the application process.
Where can I get more licensure information?
For more information, go to the Virginia Department of Education web site…www.doe.virginia.gov.
I am interested in the Career Switcher program. Where can I get more information?
Go to the Virginia Department of Education web site at www.doe.virginia.gov and select “Teachers” at the top right hand corner.
Contact Staff Development at 804-652-3679 for questions and forms:
- Tuition Reimbursement
- SD2 Forms
- IRR Forms